Common Toolbar Functions
The following is the full set of toolbar functions for the word processor in HQ. The word processor is used in various locations in HQ, such as editing documents, creating emails, writing notes about a meeting, and so on. Not all of these buttons are used in all of these locations.
|View or edit the document source code (for advanced users).|
|Removes all contents, creating a new blank page.|
|Saves to the current document.|
|Saves the page you are editing as a new document|
|Cut the highlighted text to the clipboard. See Cut, Copy and Paste.|
|Copy the highlighted text to the clipboard. See Cut, Copy and Paste.|
|Paste the data copied to the clipboard (with or without formatting). See Cut, Copy and Paste.|
|Paste content copied from Microsoft Word or similar applications. See Cut, Copy and Paste.|
|Undo or redo the most recent action taken. See Undo and Redo.|
|Remove the formatting from the highlighted text.|
|Applies bold, italic or underscore formatting to the highlighted text.See Text Formatting.|
|Creates numbered or bulleted lists.|
|Increase or decrease the text indentation.|
|Sets the text alignment (left, centered, right or justified). See Text layout and format in Text Formatting.|
|Links or unlinks text in the document.|
|Inserts images into the document. See Inserting Images.|
|Creates a table with the defined number of columns and rows. See Tables.|
|Inserts a divider line (horizontal rule).|
|Inserts an emoticons image (smiley faces, email icon, lightbulb, etc.).|
|Inserts symbols & special characters (accented characters, trademark, currency symbol, etc.).|
|Inserts a printing page break. Only impacts printed version.|
|Styles & formatting determine the appearance and semantic value of your document.
You may use the drop down boxes to apply styles, set the font and its size. See Text Formatting.
|Changes the colour of the text. See Size and colour in Text Formatting.|
|Changes the background colour of the text. See Size and colour in Text Formatting.|
To begin cutting the text you should firstly highlight the fragment you want to cut.
After highlighting there are three methods to cut:
- by pressing the button on the toolbar.
- by pressing the right mouse button on the highlighted area. A context menu will appear. Choose cut.
- by pressing the combination of CTRL+X keys.
You can copy a highlighted text area in three ways:
- by pressing the button on the toolbar.
- by pressing the right mouse button on the highlighted area. A context menu will appear. Choose copy.
- by pressing the combination of CTRL+C keys.
There are three options to paste into the text:
- by pressing the combination of CTRL+V keys or pressing on the toolbar. This option will paste data from your clipboard. However there’s a possibility that because of your security settings placed in your browser the editor will be enable to paste the data directly from your clipboard. If that happens a popup window will appear with instruction what to do next.
- by pressing . This option pastes a plain text which you should first paste inside the following box by using the combination of CTRL+V keys.
- by pressing . This option pastes a text previously written in MS Word editor. By using this option you may paste the text from Word ignoring the Font Face definitions or removing Styles definitions.To paste the text just press CTRL+V key combination on your keyboard.
The undo function is very useful in a situation where you have made a mistake and you want to correct it quickly. For example if you’ve written your whole document and erased it by mistake.
You can activate the undo function in two ways:
After you activate Undo the editor will revert to the last thing you’ve written. For example: you’ve written a whole chapter in your text and you’ve highlighted it and than deleted it by mistake. You activate the “Undo” function and it reverts to the moment when the chapter was highlighted but before the deleting. You may of course go many steps back, not just one step.
The redo function is the exact opposite of the undo function. If you used the undo function and than for any reason decided to go back to the state before the undo you must use the redo function. To activate it press on the toolbar.
Bold, Italic and Underlined
You may arrange the way you font looks like by choosing whether the font should be bold, italic or underlined.
- To make your font bold, select the text and press the on the toolbar.
- If you want it to be italic, select the text and press the on the toolbar .
- For underlined, select the text and press the on the toolbar.
Italic, bold, underlined, italic bold underlined
A paragraph of text can be aligned to either of the sides of the document, as well as centering. You may also force the lines to take the entire space available in the document (like aligning to both sides at the same time).
Hello user/ This is a text written using the left alignment.
Hello User / This is a text written with the usage of the right alignment.
Hello User / This is a text written with the usage of the centre alignment.
The most commonly used fonts are “Times New Roman” and “Arial”. They are used in most documents created in the world and are often used in formal documents. If you wish to use a different font you are of course more than welcome to do so. To choose a font you want, select the text in the editor and use the font menu in your toolbar and click on the font you decided to use.
To change your font size, select use the “Size” menu in the toolbar, font sizes in the editor in HQ are all in pt like Microsoft Word and other common word processors for example.
To change the size of you font, highlight the section of text you would like to change the size of then click the “Size” option on the toolbar and select the size you would like to change the font to.
The other option to make your text look different is changing either the text colour or its background colour. If you want to change your text colour, select the text, then press the text colour button . Several colours will appear in a menu. If you are not satisfied with the colours available in that panel click “More colors…”.
To choose the colour you want to use just click on it.
You may also mix the colours of your text and the background.