To create a new email in HQ, you can either:
- Click on the sent an email button on the main HQ button menu
- Or select new > Email from the main menu.
The email composer window for HQ looks as follows:
Any new email needs the follow:
- A “To” address.
- A “Subject” (this is not strictly necessary, but is considered good practice).
- Some contents – often referred to as the body of the email.
To add a “To” address:
- Type part of the email address or the name of a person or business. If that name is one of your contacts, then a pop-up list will appear of all the possible matches. You can choose one by clicking on it with your mouse, or stepping up or down the list with your keyboard’s arrow keys and using Enter or Tab to select.
To add a “CC” or a “BCC” address:
- This is identical to selecting a “To” address. Type part of the email address or the name of a person or business. If that name is one of your contacts, then a pop-up list will appear of all the possible matches. You can choose one by clicking on it with your mouse, or stepping up or down the list with your keyboard’s arrow keys and using Enter or Tab to select.
To add a “Subject“:
- Simply type in the subject line of your email. This line can in principal be of any length but is typically kept below 100 characters.
To create the “Body”:
- HQ provides a small word-processor with all the usual word-processing functions of making characters plain, bold, underlined, strike-through and so on. All of these functions are accessible from the email button bar. The word-processor has a number of keyboard shortcuts and these are show below. Further information about the functions of the word-processor is shown in the editor section of this help system. Information on the spell checker can be found in the spell checker sections of this help system
To add an “Attachment” to your email, simply click the ‘Attach’ button. This will then open the File Explorer on Windows or the Finder on Mac, from there you can select as many files as you would like to attach. However there is a limit for each email sent from HQ so be aware of this when adding multiple large attachments.
Attachments can also be added the an email in HQ by dragging that you want into the attachment area on the email and then releasing the right mouse button to drop it into the email.
The image below show an example of an attachment that has been added to an email.
Once files have been attached they can be reviewed by clicking on their name which will open the file and they can also be deleted by clicking on the X button.
There are a number of flags that can be set on the email by ticking the relevant tick box.
Private: this will set the email to private meaning that it will not be linked to anyone or anything. (for more about linking click here)
Important: this will mark the email as important and set the priority to high.
Personalise: this will send out separate emails for each recipient in the To, CC and BCC fields. When all the emails have been sent you will receive a notification if the send was completed.